Friday, February 1, 2008

Urban Fantasy: We discovers a new author

I very much like urban fantasy. I know, I know, trashy books, whatever. Just like any genre some of them are better than others especially because everyone is now trying to hone in on the popularity. Some are more straight fantasy, some are more fantasy/romance. Some are edgier than others. Jim Butcher is about the outer limits of what I can read. Holly Black writes for teens but her stuff is edgier than some of the "adult" writers (her Tithe/Valiant/Ironside faerie books, not Spiderwick). Kim Harrison's series has definite creepiness going on while Charlaine Harris is a little lighter (except for the last book).

I found Simon Green by accident while shelving (don't ask). His Nightside series is reminiscent of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, though a little less gory and a little less deep. Sort of Dresden-lite. I've only read the first book (Something From the Darkside) so I'll post again after a few more and see if I still like them.

No comments: